Sarah’s blog 31/5/22
7.30am – Another nose bleed yesterday evening… think I need some protein. I struggled to get to sleep as my arms and my feet were sore. I must have tensed my arms whilst cycling (don’t know why as I was hardly going to fall off lol).
Well there were some times where I never thought I’d get to the end of this challenge. Depriving myself of major food groups was harder than I thought because of the effect it had on my body and the way it made me feel. There were times my body has ached so much from being on the exercise bike. But I’m here on the last day and I’ve got to the end of my challenge in one piece!
I’m reflecting on the hundreds of vulnerable children supported by The Foundation. We send money for The Feeding Programme to feed 500 children a nutritious and substantial meal once a week. We know it’s not enough. We are asking for more people to contribute monthly to help the feeding programme run twice a week until families are in a better position to feed their own children every day. Whilst I’ve been doing this challenge I have really been thinking about the vulnerable children and how few choices they have and how hard life is for them. Some of the things I’ve been thinking about are;
- how little they have to eat.
- how do they sleep if they are hungry?
- how can they concentrate well at school if they are hungry and tired?
- how do they have enough energy to do all their chores?
- how some of the children are walking from up to 20km away for a meal at the Feeding Programme as there are no big agencies feeding children in that area. Hundreds of children are relying on us and The Foundation.
- how the team at The Foundation are teaching the children different skills for life.
- how education is the way out of poverty for these children.
- how important it is to build a school for these children as there are not enough places at the nearest secondary school and if they don’t get picked then they don’t go.
To contribute a monthly amount to the Feeding Programme or sponsor a child then please firstname.lastname@example.org
To help us build a school please donate to https://gofund.me/ca9c1629
1pm – My good friend Jackie had challenged me to finish off my challenge with a cycle of 25km. I didn’t do that. I did 31km! It was so hard and painful but I did it!! I’m proud of myself! At the start of the month I could manage 5km ok but then struggled after that. I was struggling by the time I got to 15km today but kept going. I was really determined that 31km was happening today! Luckily, I don’t have to be anywhere this afternoon as my knees are rather sore.
I’ll do an update tomorrow as, although I have finished the cycling part of my challenge, I am still on rice and vegetables for the rest of today. Hopefully, you will agree that I’ve done my best for this challenge, and you might spare a few £££ to give the gift of education. Let’s build a school!! Thanks for reading and for your support, Sarah x https://gofund.me/ca9c1629
I am still enjoying these vegetables and rice but I will be so thankful to be able to add other food groups back into my diet!
Yay I’ve completed my cycling challenge – finished off with 31km today – it was a struggle but I did it! Hopefully people will donate towards a new school for the vulnerable children whom The Foundation supports.